Fatal injuries

Everyone responds differently to the death of a loved one.  

Take care of yourself and allow others to support you. Friends and family, support groups and social workers and other health professionals can all help.

The MAA can provide you with a Guide for people who have lost a relative in a motor vehicle accident.

Australia.gov.au has links to some useful websites with information on dealing with grief.

We also have practical information on some of the unfamiliar procedures you may face and the decisions you may have to make at this very difficult time.  See:

You can ask for copies to be sent to you by emailing our Claims Advisory Service at cas@maa.nsw.gov.au or calling us on 1300 656 919

Compensation for the death of a close relative 

You may be able to claim compensation if your husband, wife, partner, brother, sister, half brother or sister, parent or child dies in an accident caused either partly or completely by another driver.

You can claim for:

  • medical expenses
  • funeral costs
  • loss of financial support from the relative who died
  • loss of services, such as the care of a parent for a child
  • loss of earnings from your relative from their injury until their death

You may be able to claim even if the relative who died was partly at fault in the accident.

Making a claim 

You should complete Compensation to Relatives Claim Form and send it to the insurer within 6 months of the accident. 

More information

Guide for people who have lost a relative

Call our Claims Advisory Service on 1300 656 919 .