Pedestrians are a priority group for the MAA as:
- Pedestrians account for 10.3 per cent of claims but 18.7 per cent of claims costs.
- The average cost of a pedestrian claim is $118,910 (the corresponding average for vehicle passengers is $66,010).
- Pedestrian claimants have a high incidence of brain injury. The chance that a pedestrian involved in a motor vehicle accident will suffer lower and upper limb fractures, lower limb joint injury and concussion is also relatively high.
- For a pedestrian with a brain injury, the average claim cost is $656,260.
- The elderly (aged 60 plus) account for 22.8 per cent of pedestrian claims.
For further information email email@example.com
Pedestrian Injury Prevention Research & Reports can be accessed at: http://www.maa.nsw.gov.au/default.aspx?MenuID=189&ContentID=169