Any information obtained as a result of use of the MAA site will be treated within the terms of the New South Wales government’s privacy responsibilities and obligations. The New South Wales government’s privacy practices are regulated by the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on the MAA site we record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it
- your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.)
- the address of your server
- the date and time of your visit to the site
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded
- the previous site visited
- the type of browser and operating system you have used
Cookies are not used by the MAA site to collect information.
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for the MAA to identify patterns of usage of the site. This will assist us in improving the site and the services offered on it.
The MAA will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the New South Wales Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1998.
What exceptions are there to this rule?
The MAA will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published MAA pages
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the MAA site
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the MAA site by other sites
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the MAA site
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of New South Wales or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the use of the MAA site by other users
The MAA reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the MAA site raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed.
In the event of an investigation, the MAA will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by the MAA for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected it is deleted.
What will we do with information provided in feedback?
The MAA provides feedback facilities on the MAA site to allow users to provide input into the future development of the site and to comment on the provision of services by the MAA.
The provision of personal details on feedback is optional.
Users may provide personal details for the purpose of receiving a reply to their feedback. This information will only be used for the purpose for which it was provided. We will not add your email address or name to any mailing list.
The MAA may publish aggregated information about feedback on the site, to the extent that it does not identify or cannot be used to identify individual users.
Who else has access to information within the MAA?
Access to the above information is restricted to a limited number of staff within the Business Systems unit of the MAA for the purpose of analysis and to report on the success of the MAA site in meeting our communication and access objectives. If you would like to access information held about you by the MAA please email email@example.com
Will this policy be updated over time?
This policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended policy will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.